- Shun Cold War mentality on bilateral ties, China urges US(20:00)
Beijing, Feb 25 (IANS) China on Tuesday urged the US to discard its outdated Cold War mentality and zero-sum game concept, and correctly view and safeguard China-US exchanges and cooperation in science, technology and culture. It also asked the US to do more to enhance mutual trust and cooperation between the two countries.
- Oil giant halts controversial drill plans in Aus(14:49)
Canberra, Feb 25 (IANS) Oil giant Equinor announced on Tuesday that it has abandoned controversial plans to drill in the Great Australian Bight in a move hailed by environmentalists as a "huge win".
- Qatar invites Pak FM for US-Taliban peace deal signing(14:29)
Islamabad, Feb 25 (IANS) Qatar on Tuesday extended a formal invitation to Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi to attend the signing ceremony of the landmark peace deal between the US and Afghan Taliban in Doha on Saturday, the Foreign Office here said.
- Malay King interviews MPs to determine next PM(14:06)
Kuala Lumpur, Feb 25 (IANS) Malaysia's King Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah is interviewing members of the Lower House of Parliament to determine who has majority backing before appointing a new Prime Minister, the palace said on Tuesday.
- Joint Commission meeting of Iran n-deal on Wednesday(13:28)
Brussels/Tehran, Feb 25 (IANS) The remaining parties to a landmark nuclear deal signed in 2015 between Iran and six world powers will hold a Joint Commission meeting in Vienna on Wednesday, the European Union's (EU) diplomatic service says.
- S.Korea, US mull scaling back military exercises(13:03)
Seoul/Washington, Feb 25 (IANS) South Korea and the US were considering scaling back combined military exercises due to concerns over the coronavirus outbreak, American Defence Secretary Mark Esper said.
- S.Korea ups anti-COVID-19 fight as cases near 900(12:50)
Seoul, Feb 25 (IANS) With the number of confirmed coronavirus cases nearing 900 on Tuesday, South Korea has vowed to maximize its containment measures in Daegu city and the neighbouring North Gyeongsang Province, where 724 infections were reported so far.
- US activists rally for releasing WikiLeaks founder(12:35)
San Francisco, Feb 25 (IANS) A group of activists in San Francisco's Bay Area rallied outside the British Consulate General to demand WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's release from a prison in the UK.
- World's oldest man dies days after Guinness record(12:25)
Tokyo, Feb 25 (IANS) Japan's Chitetsu Watanabe, recognized at 112 years as the oldest man in the world, has passed away 11 days after he received the Guinness World Record certificate, his family said on Tuesday.
- Ex-LTTE members form new political party(12:17)
Colombo, Feb 25 (IANS) Rehabilitated former members of the now defunct Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) militant group have formed a new political party with the hope of contesting Sri Lanka's general elections this year, a media report said on Tuesday.
- Ex-SL PM to contest upcoming parliamentary election(11:46)
Colombo, Feb 25 (IANS) Former Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe is set to contest the country's upcoming parliamentary election from the Colombo district, a source from his United National Party (UNP) has revealed.
- Pakistan quarantines pilgrims returning from Iran(11:21)
Islamabad, Feb 25 (IANS) Pakistan has started the quarantine of pilgrims returning from Iran where the deadly coronavirus has claimed 12 lives and infected 64 others, it was reported on Tuesday.
- Lahore court issues notices on plea for Aurat March ban(11:14)
Lahore, Feb 25 (IANS) The Lahore High Court has issued notices to Pakistan's federal and provincial governments on an application seeking a permanent ban on the upcoming 'Aurat March' for being "anti-state" and "un-Islamic".
- Australia warns of far-right, espionage threats(11:03)
Canberra, Feb 25 (IANS) Threat from the far right was real and growing in Australia, which also faces the danger of unprecedented foreign espionage and interference, a top intelligence official said here.