- Global COVID-19 cases nearly 6 mn: Johns Hopkins(08:17)
Washington, May 30 (IANS) The total number of global coronavirus cases was nearing the 6 million mark, while the deaths have surged to more than 364,000, according to the Johns Hopkins University.
- Global COVID-19 cases top 5.8 mn: Johns Hopkins(08:21)
Washington, May 29 (IANS) The overall number of global coronavirus cases has topped 5.8 million, while the deaths have increased to more than 360,000, according to the Johns Hopkins University.
- Israel reports 79 new COVID-19 cases, highest since May 2(05:41)
Jerusalem, May 29 (IANS) Israel's Ministry of Health has reported 79 new COVID-19 cases, the highest daily rise since May 2. The total number of coronavirus cases in Israel reached 16,872, while the number of recoveries increased by 109 to 14,679.
- France to further ease lockdown as COVID-19 situation improves(04:44)
Paris, May 29 (IANS) France will further unwind anti-coronavirus lockdown from June 2, lifting 100-km travel restriction and allowing non-essential businesses, parks and beaches to reopen, Prime Minister Edouard Philippe announced on Thursday.
- UN chief calls for attention to nuclear, cyberspace security(03:42)
United Nations, May 29 (IANS) UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Thursday said that attention should be given to increasing risk of nuclear proliferation and the lawlessness of cyberspace, while the international community has been fighting the COVID-19 pandemic.
- More than 1 in 6 youths jobless due to COVID-19: ILO(09:05)
Geneva, May 28 (IANS) More than one in six youths were jobless since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic while those who remain employed have seen their working hours cut by 23 per cent, according to a report by the International Labour Organization (ILO).
- COVID-19 2nd wave in US not inevitable: Fauci(08:37)
Washington, May 28 (IANS) A second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic in the US "could happen" but it was "not inevitable", America's top infectious diseases expert Anthony Fauci said.
- Global COVID-19 cases near 5.7 mn: Johns Hopkins(08:20)
Washington, May 28 (IANS) The overall number of global coronavirus cases was nearing the 5.7 million mark, while the deaths have increased to more than 355,000, according to the Johns Hopkins University.
- WHO Foundation launched to support critical health needs(06:50)
Geneva, May 28 (IANS) The World Health Organization (WHO) has announced the creation of the WHO Foundation, an independent grant-making entity that will support the organization's efforts to address the most pressing global health challenges.
- US capital to lift stay-at-home order(04:17)
Washington, May 28 (IANS) US capital Washington DC will lift stay-at-home order on Friday and enter phase one of reopening, Mayor Muriel Bowser announced on Wednesday.
- France's COVID-19 death toll up by 66 to 28,596(01:51)
Paris, May 28 (IANS) With 66 new deaths of COVID-19 in the last 24 hours, France's death toll from the coronavirus-caused disease has risen to 28,596 as of Wednesday, according to official figures.
- Expat stuck in India, family runs out of money in Sharjah(13:42)
Sharjah, May 27 (IANS) An Indian family here has run out of money as their sole breadwinner has been stranded in India due to COVID-19 flight suspension. Sephali Panigrahi, who lives in Al Nahda with her two daughters aged 17 and 12 years, said they are facing an acute financial crisis, Gulf news reported.
- John Ratcliffe sworn in as US spy chief(07:30)
Washington, May 27 (IANS) US Congressman John Ratcliffe from Texas has been sworn in as the Director of National Intelligence (DNI), the country's spy chief.
- Africa's confirmed COVID-19 cases surpass 115,000(07:06)
Addis Ababa, May 27 (IANS) The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases across the African continent surpassed 115,616 as the death toll from the ongoing pandemic surged to 3,479, the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) has said.